Flea control and getting a good flea treatment is a vital part of taking care of our dogs. If you don’t, your fur baby can get sick! The insects that bite dogs have disease-causing organisms, including those for Lyme disease. This is a disease that affects both dogs and humans. Your pup will also be very uncomfortable from bites. As we know, they itch and scratch! K9 Advantix II is one of the products on the market to control a range of insects that affect our canine friends.
- 1 What is K9 Advantix for Dogs?
- 2 K9 Advantix 2 vs. 1
- 3 Frontline vs. Advantix
- 4 Flea Medicine for Dogs: K9 Advantix ii Side Effects and Possible Dangers
- 5 Correct Dosage for The Right Pup
- 6 Are There Other Dog Products That Do This As Well?
- 7 Where to Buy This Popular Flea and Tick Medicine for Dogs
- 8 K9 Advantix ii Reviews
What is K9 Advantix for Dogs?
K9 Advantix is a topical insecticide or spot-on treatment. This means you apply it to a particular area of your dog’s coat to kill insects and pests. The active ingredients in K9 Advantix kills fleas, ticks, mosquitos, chewing lice, and biting flies. It is also waterproof – so it will keep working after your dog has had a bath or been gone for a swim.
Made by Bayer DVM, they manufacture a range of veterinarian and pharmaceutical products. There have been two formulas released – K9 Advantix and K9 Advantix II. The difference between the two products is explained below.
You’ve Probably Seen Their Ads on TV!
The ads for K9 Advantix II are always a bit of a giggle. Over the years, the dog(s) in the ads are always front and center. The latest ads have two dogs discussing flea treatments over a white picket fence. In the ad, the dogs reflect on how it could be worse, as a dog dressed in shorts and a plaid shirt walks past! In another ad, there’s a play on words, mosquito becomes musky toe.
K9 Advantix 2 vs. 1
There have been two different K9 Advantix products produced – K9 Advantix, and then K9 Advantix II.
- K9 Advantix was the first formulation, released in 2002. This application provides protection from flying insects – fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. As far as ticks go, it covers the lot – lone star ticks, American dog ticks, deer ticks and brown dog ticks. It both kills and repels flying insects before they land on your dog and take a bite.
- K9 Advantix II is an updated formula, produced since 2011. This formula does the same as the first formula, and more. It contains an extra ingredient to kill fleas at all life stages. This means it kills flea eggs and larvae, as well as adult fleas.
Frontline vs. Advantix
There are similarities and differences between Frontline and Advantix. Both brands are popular options for flea treatments and tick control. Your choice may depend on the environment and climate you and your dog live in. Both product formulas kill stages of fleas, as well as protection against ticks and lice. The differences in these products are:
- Advantix II also kills and repels mosquitos and biting flies.
- Frontline Plus also stops fleas from laying new eggs.
Flea Medicine for Dogs: K9 Advantix ii Side Effects and Possible Dangers
Side effects from flea treatments don’t happen often. But you do need to be aware of them and any dangers in using the products. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and how to apply and keep the leaflet. For K9 Advantix II the precautions include:
- Do NOT use this product on cats! Cats are not able to metabolize certain chemical compounds, so if this drug gets onto your cat then it’s an emergency. If you have cats as well as dogs, keep them away from your dog until the treatment has completely dried in their fur.
- If your dog is sick, debilitated, old, pregnant or nursing puppies, check with your vet before using.
- Only use the product on dogs and puppies over seven weeks old and that weigh more than four pounds.
- Make sure your dog does not ingest any of the flea treatment or get it in their eyes. This means ensuring they, and any other dogs you have aren’t able to lick the treatment off their coat. Apply it as directed, to the back of your dog’s neck between their shoulder blades.
- Side effects that you should watch for after use include skin irritations, gastrointestinal upsets, lethargy, and agitation.
Correct Dosage for The Right Pup
Using the right monthly dosage is important for your pup. Flea treatments are already measured out to match the size or weight of your dog, and you should use the entire contents.
K9 Advantix ii Extra Large Dogs
For dogs weighing over 55 pounds, the dosage is 4.0ml
K9 Advantix ii Large Dogs
For dogs weighing 21-44 pounds, the dosage is 2.5ml
K9 Advantix ii Medium Dogs
For dogs weighing 11-20 pounds, the dosage is 1.0 ml
K9 Advantix ii Small Dogs
For dogs weighing 4-10 pounds, the dosage is 0.4 ml
Are There Other Dog Products That Do This As Well?
There is a range of dog products to treat fleas and ticks. You can opt for topical treatments to place in their fur or give tablets orally. Other topical flea treatment applications include brands such as Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution. Prevention is always better than cure. If you’re looking to improve your dog’s skin and coat at the same time, some natural products to try include:
Vets Preferred Premium Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
Recommended by many vets, this product is high in essential fatty acids, many of the Omegas and other vitamins and minerals. These are all good for your dog’s skin, coat and immune system.
How will this help your pet?
Boosts the immune system
Soothes temporary skin irritations
Softer, Shinier, and Smoother Coat
Helps Dry and Flakey Skin
Helps Joint Problems and Arthritis
Helps Pain and Inflammation
EASY TO USE! No more prying open your pet’s mouth and trying to get them to swallow pills. Our no mess pump makes it easy for you to add our tasty oil directly onto their food.
100% MONEYBACK GUARANTEE Vets Preferred understands how much you care about your pet's health, that's why our Advanced Salmon Oil food supplement are made with safe organic ingredients recommended by veterinarians. This made and produced in the USA in a lab-quality facility with GMP (Good Manufacturing Process) Seal. What are you waiting for? Get yours now!
Honest Paws Restore CBD Dog Treats
If your dog has a dry, itchy, flaky skin these dog treats are rich in Omega 6 and other oils that will help improve the condition of their skin.
Where to Buy This Popular Flea and Tick Medicine for Dogs
K9 Advantix II is widely available. You can ask for it at your local vet clinic. Or, look on online via retailers such as PetBasics.com, 1800petmeds.com, Amazon, and others. Many offer coupons, rebates, and promo codes to bring down the cost of the products.
K9 Advantix ii Reviews
Online reviews from dog lovers backup everything the manufacturer says the product does. Some we’ve found from customers who have bought and used K9 Advantix II are:
- “My mom recommended this. She uses on her Rottweilers and Yorkie Poos. I use it every month on my boxer mix. He has never had any fleas” – Amazon customer July 2018
- “Works great! I’ve been using on my Coonhounds for over three years. We live in an area with lots of bugs/mosquitoes/ticks/fleas etc., and my dogs have not had a problem yet! I highly recommend”. – 1800PetMeds.com customer, October 2017
- “I have tried so many different flea treatments and nothing has worked. Now for the first time in months my dog has relief” – Amazon customer, February 2017
Love your dog and look for a reputable brand-name drug for flea treatment such as K9 Advantage ii for dogs. Ticks and fleas on dogs are no fun, ever! Especially if you live in an area with lots of flies and mosquitoes, using a product like this you’ll be helping with keeping them off your dog and preventing a flea infestation!